Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What I'm Working On

Oh, too much on my plate right now. So I need to focus on one thing at a time, and at this moment, that one thing is a lamp. I need a tall lamp with a narrow base and a narrow drum shade, contemporary but warm, eyecatching and welcoming.

I need to go shopping.

It's a hard life, huh? Actually, it can be. Interior design is an incredibly fun job. It's also a hard job. Yes, it's true! For one thing, it's definitely a profession that has to choose you, not the other way around. It took me a long while to make the connection in my brain, but I think I was born to design and create. But the day-to-day act of being a designer is more than drawing, more than creating, definitely more than shopping. It's taking all the specialized knowledge I spent years acquiring and using it to make the individual spaces I'm working on as perfect as they can be. Balanced, harmonic, striking in places, calm in others, lovely and usable.

To achieve all of this, there are often - I'll go so far as to say always - challenges along the way. The perfect piece, in the perfect price range, is rarely available at the perfect time. When it is, man, it's great. Sometimes great design really does just happen. But more often than not, it takes a lot of work to find that perfect lamp! And a whole lot of planning to get to the point of purchasing it. I'll elaborate on that later - the life-changing concept of designing and furnishing your home according to a plan rather than taking a gamble on every new thing you bring in. It's eye-opening!

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0